Proverbs – Wisdom That Works – Part 11
The Worth of Wisdom– Proverbs 8:1-36
Crosspoint – Dave Spooner – August 22, 2021
- God gives us hope and encouragement to continue to persevere in our faith and continue to follow Him. He warns of things that will harm us and points us in the direction we should go. He provides companionship with us and gives us everything we need for life and godliness during this life, and an inheritance and promise of eternal life and a renewed world to come.
- One of the traps He tells us to avoid is being intimately entangled with another person who is not our spouse. This connection will bring us great harm, as we saw from the Word last week.
- In our next chapter, God then provides for us a better way and a better relationship. He again introduces us to lady wisdom in contrast to the adulterous woman and encourages us to listen, love, and follow her because we will gain a right and glorious life with her.
- In chapter eight, we will read about the worth of wisdom where God Himself describes her glories and encourages us to have a relationship with her. So let’s discover together the beautiful attributes of this woman and let us have “ears to hear” and a heart that turns in her direction and embraces God’s good gift to us!
Be guided with wisdom
Proverbs 8:1-5 NIV
Does not wisdom call out? Does not understanding raise her voice? 2 At the highest point along the way, where the paths meet, she takes her stand; 3 beside the gate leading into the city, at the entrance, she cries aloud: 4 “To you, O people, I call out; I raise my voice to all mankind. 5 You who are simple, gain prudence; you who are foolish, set your hearts on it.
- In contrast to the adulterous woman, who slyly and seductively comes out in secret in the cover of night, lady wisdom calls out to all in broad daylight for all to see and hear. She calls out to all people from the highest point, from where people need to choose (where the paths meet). This is where she takes her stand. This is where we would be most prone to look and listen to her. She also stands beside the gate leading into the city, at the place where we are entering something new, something that is more complex, where we need to make all manner of choices one after another. She is there as a good and wise and true and faithful companion. I hope that you will be captivated by her beauty and your heart leaps at the sound of her voice. She will be a faithful companion and will guide you in the good ways in which you should go.
Proverbs 8:6-11 NIV
Listen, for I have trustworthy things to say; I open my lips to speak what is right. 7 My mouth speaks what is true, for my lips detest wickedness. 8 All the words of my mouth are just; none of them is crooked or perverse. 9 To the discerning all of them are right; they are upright to those who have found knowledge. 10 Choose my instruction instead of silver, knowledge rather than choice gold, 11 for wisdom is more precious than rubies, and nothing you desire can compare with her.
- She will always tell you the truth. She will never deceive you or manipulate you. She will speak what is right and true. She detests wickedness and will not have any part in it. She is just and will guide you in what is right, and good, and beneficial. Her companionship and guidance are of greater value than silver and gold. Her wisdom is more valuable than jewels. In contrast, she is of greater worth than anything and everything else. So choose her, be captivated by her beauty. She will be faithful and true, just and right, and bring you more worth and help than all others.
Be in love with wisdom
Proverbs 8:12-16 NIV
“I, wisdom, dwell together with prudence; I possess knowledge and discretion. 13 To fear the LORD is to hate evil; I hate pride and arrogance, evil behavior and perverse speech. 14 Counsel and sound judgment are mine; I have insight, I have power. 15 By me kings reign and rulers issue decrees that are just; 16 by me princes govern, and nobles—all who rule on earth.
- Lady wisdom has great friends, the best of people. Her best friend is prudence. They share everything together. They are a support for each other and love each other dearly and influence each other deeply.
- Wisdom herself possesses knowledge and discretion. She knows so much, and she knows what to do. She sees things that you don’t see and knows things that you don’t know, and she will give you the best of all guidance, and she will help you. She fears the Lord, and she fears Him because she knows Him and loves Him. She knows His majesty. She knows His might. She has experienced His goodness and has seen His power. She is devoted to His honor, and she has the same characteristics as her Lord. Because she fears Him, she hates evil because He hates evil. She knows what it does and how dark it is, and she hates it. Therefore, she will have nothing to do with it.
- She hates pride, those who think they are above others and are better than them. She hates those who are arrogant and practice evil and talk with twisted and entrapping words. She opposes them and resists them.
- She gives counsel and help, and her judgments are sound. Her insight is gold. She has great power. She is a kingmaker; she makes the man. She is the power behind every good throne. She is the one who brings order to chaos, justice, and rightness to the earth. All just decrees and good leaders are guided and empowered by her.
Proverbs 8:17-21 NIV
I love those who love me, and those who seek me find me. 18 With me are riches and honor,
enduring wealth and prosperity. 19 My fruit is better than fine gold; what I yield surpasses choice silver. 20 I walk in the way of righteousness, along the paths of justice, 21 bestowing a rich inheritance on those who love me and making their treasuries full.
- If you love her, she will love you! If you pursue her, she will be yours. She is not someone that is out of your league or beyond your reach. She does have standards and does not give herself to just anyone, but if you truly do love her, and if you pursue her, she will love you truly, and rightly, and deeply. And if you have her, you will gain riches, and honor, wealth that endures – wealth that is real wealth, of eternal value, and you will prosper. You love her, and you pursue her, and she will reward you with everything she has, which yields better than any other investment you could ever make.
- To walk with her, to be with her, means you will walk in the way she is going, which is the way of righteousness. You will walk with her in the paths of justice. If you walk with her along these paths, and in these places, if you love her, you will be with her there. She will provide for you a rich inheritance and she will make your treasuries full. This inheritance and these treasuries go far beyond the earthy realm – these are true riches and a true inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you (Peter 1:4). Fall deeply and truly in love with lady wisdom. Pursue her, walk along her paths, and you will be greatly, and deeply rewarded.
Rejoice with wisdom
Proverbs 8:22-26 NIV
“The LORD brought me forth as the first of his works, before his deeds of old; 23 I was formed long ages ago, at the very beginning, when the world came to be. 24 When there were no watery depths, I was given birth, when there were no springs overflowing with water; 25 before the mountains were settled in place, before the hills, I was given birth, 26 before he made the world or its fields or of the dust of the earth.
- Lady wisdom has stunning, ageless beauty. She is the oldest being next to the Trinity. She was brought forth from God Himself, and she was here before creation. She has the perspective of the eternal one. She knows how all things were made, and she was here before them all. She is the wisdom of God Himself and knows all things from their origins. She was with God before all things, and she is His constant companion, His most precious and delightful daughter.
Proverbs 8:27-31 NIV
I was there when he set the heavens in place, when he marked out the horizon on the face of the deep, 28 when he established the clouds above and fixed securely the fountains of the deep, 29 when he gave the sea its boundary so the waters would not overstep his command, and when he marked out the foundations of the earth. 30 Then I was constantly at his side. I was filled with delight day after day, rejoicing always in his presence, 31 rejoicing in his whole world and delighting in mankind.
- Lady wisdom, the daughter of God, was given access to things that no other has seen. She was there when He created all the heavens, when He marked out the sky and set the seas in place. She saw everything her Father did, and she was overjoyed to be with Him and was delighted with everything He did.
- Wisdom still delights to be in His presence, like a little girl who adores her father and is enraptured to be with him. She still delights in everything He has created. And if you choose to be with her and love her, you will see what her Father has created. You will rejoice and see the goodness of His creation and humankind. You will also rejoice in being in His presence. Wisdom understands and sees the goodness and the glory of God. She will lead you in these things, and you too will rejoice and be delighted in the goodness of the Father. God made everything good and will redeem, restore, and renew His creation. Ask wisdom to show you what she sees, what she knows. You will understand what He has done, what He is doing, and what will become. You will also delight and rejoice. To delight in God’s work is healthy. It is good and pleasing to do so, and lady wisdom will bring this delight to you.
Be blessed with wisdom
- The voice of the Father gives the invitation in drawing this passage to a conclusion.
Proverbs 8:32-36 NIV
“Now then, my children, listen to me; blessed are those who keep my ways. 33 Listen to my instruction and be wise; do not disregard it. 34 Blessed are those who listen to me, watching daily at my doors, waiting at my doorway. 35 For those who find me find life and receive favor from the LORD. 36 But those who fail to find me harm themselves; all who hate me love death.”
- The Father invites us, as His children, to listen to Him (how incredible it is to receive an invitation, to have access to one such as this!). You will be blessed if you keep His ways. God loves those who love Him, and God favors those who favor Him. God chooses those who choose Him. You are blessed, not because you say you are. You are blessed when you keep His ways.
- Listen to His instructions, and then be wise! Don’t disregard what He says, like a fool! You are blessed if you listen to Him. Watch and wait for Him daily. Meet with Him. Go to Him and the place He dwells, and listen to the Words He gives, seeking Him and hearing as an everyday occurrence.
- Those who find God find life itself and are favored by the Son, who is Jesus, who is life. If you reject God and reject the Son, you harm yourselves and love death over life. In the Son is life, and the life is the light of men (John 1:4). “Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have life.” (1 John 5:12)
- You can not fall in love with the daughter of God, lady wisdom, and then reject the Son of God, who is the Lord of Life. To embrace wisdom is to glorify the Father and to receive the Son. No one who pursues lady wisdom will reject the source of all life.
- Fall in love with the wisdom of God. Receive new life through the Son of God. Honor the Father, who is the one true God. No one can force you to love them. For love to be love, it has to be freely given by choice. Choose to truly honor God by being in love with His wisdom and embracing His Son.
- For those of you who have received Christ, fall in love with the wisdom of the Father, waiting daily at His door. Pursue and love wisdom, walk in her ways, listen to her words, and treasure her. For those of you who want life today and life that is eternal, you who want freedom from the power and penalty from your sins, receive the Son this day. Decide to give your life to Him today.
- Closing Prayer